Sunday, December 11, 2011

cherry delight cookies

One of my most popular cookies with my family, and being particularly nice for the holidays, I thought I'd start with my favorite version of chocolate chip cookies.


1/2 c shortening
1/2 c butter (unsalted)
1 c brown sugar, packed
1/2 c white sugar
2 eggs (large)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (pure organic)
1 tsp almond extract
3+ c ap flour (king arthur unbleached)
1 c white chocolate chips
1 c dried bing cherries
1 c slivered almonds

1. Leave butter, shortening, and eggs at room temperature for approximately 30 minutes. Meanwhile, dice bing cherries. Toss them in up to 1/2 c of the flour to prevent them from clumping.
2. Cream softened butter & shortening with brown and white sugars until mixture is fully incorporated and light in color.
3. Add in eggs, one at a time. Add baking soda, salt, and both extracts, mix until fully incorporated.
4. Beat in flour 1/2 c at a time. Stop between each half cup to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl, but there is no need to make sure the flour is fully incorporated each time. After adding 2 c of the flour, check consistency of the dough- make a ball with the dough, it should hold its shape easily, but leave grease on your hand. Continue to add flour and stir by hand until you reach the desired consistency.
5. Incorporate white chocolate, almonds, and cherries into dough, being careful to not over mix. At this point, I usually refrigerate my dough just for easier handling, but this is certainly not necessary. (pictured cookies were not made from refrigerated dough)
6. Drop rounded tablespoons onto silpat or parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake in 375 degree for approximately 9 minutes. Cool on pan for 5 minutes, then move to cooling rack until fully cooled. Makes approximately 3 dozen cookies.

1 comment:

  1. yummmm! I knew I was gonna regret coming to see what your first post was 'cz I knew I was gonna be hungry right after! lol white choco chips & cherries yummmmmmm!!!!!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete